Some discussion somewhere on some weblog led me to go exploring off to Brown. As reflected in Lalo Telling’s great SL History postings, Brown is one of the “Color Sims”; not the very first sims created in the Grid, but still some of the oldest.
There are all sorts of interesting and touching and nostalgic sorts of things to be seen on Brown, giving insight of various kinds to the thoughts of the early Lindens and Residents about how the world might go, and how things have changed, and not changed, since then.
There are all these little pedestals with spinning hands scattered about, and touching one gets you this notecard from 2003, that’s worth posting in its entirety.
Welcome to Brown! Brown is a controlled building community. A small suburban area, Brown is the perfect place to build your home if you’re looking for a nice, quiet region without the stores and looming towers you might find building elsewhere.
Here are some helpful guidelines to help maintain Brown:
You can own as much land as you want, but your build in Brown MUST be a conventional residence that might be seen in a suburb. This means that stores, dance clubs, sheep farms, and any other non-house builds are not permitted within Brown.
Builders are no longer limited to using the Mini-House-in-a-Box. But it’s available at the supply stores located around the perimeter of this region.
**Note: the following zoning regulations will be enforced:
* No terraforming. The land stays the way it is.
* No buildings taller than 15 meters. All buildings must be attached to the ground.
* You must build within your own property lines.
* No objects for sale, except within the stalls in the center of the region.
* No signs permitted.
* Noisy or flashing textures, particles, excessive and/or looping sounds, or any script that puts unnecessary strain on the region will be removed.
This region is located within a PG-Rated territory. All applicable rules, laws and community standards apply.
***Open Air Market***
This area in the middle of the region has been set up for people to sell or trade goods. The following rules apply.
* Only one 8 x 13 parcel per resident per sim.
* You can sell anything within the PG guidelines but it must be displayed within the stall.
* You can buy more land in the sim to support more objects in the market.
* Don’t delete the stall walls.
For some reason I especially love “Builders are no longer limited to using the Mini-House-in-a-Box”.
How far we’ve come! :)